Friday, January 29, 2010

What We Eat When The Cold Bug Visits...

For those of you that didn't know.. I am from New Mexico. Born there, but raised in Oregon, for the most part. My mom on the other hand was raised in New Mexico. And so, growing up we got a lot of spicy, New Mexican good food. Green Chili Stew, Open Faced Enchiladas, there was almost always a bunch of dried red New Mexican chilies hanging in our kitchen window, and bags of roasted green New Mexican chilies in the freezer. I remember doing some pretty crazy things coming back to Oregon from New Mexico once to get some fresh chilies home... :o)

But my all time favorite New Mexican food is in New Mexico a Christmas Eve Tradition, though in our home it was a "Oh your sick, let me get out the chili's" tradition. And my mom would gather all the ingredients to make a giant pot of Posole, or Pozole. This stew is hearty, yummy, healthy, and will have you begging for more.. it is also ALWAYS better the next day, after spending 24 hours in the refrigerator. In fact, when I make it, I always make it the day before I am going to serve it. Then I have to lock the fridge shut...

Anyway, the cold bug has hit our house... again. And now that my recipe has reappeared! it is time for a big batch....

Chicken Posole
2 cl.+ garlic chopped
1 1/4 lb chicken thighs boneless cut into 1in pieces
2 cans (15oz) hominy, drained, rinsed
1 med onion chopped, diced
1 tsp oregano (Mexican preferred)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 + tsp red chili flakes (or dried New Mexican Chili powder)
2 lg chicken bullion cubes (4 Cups chicken broth)
4 cups water (none if you use Chicken Broth instead of bullion)
1 can (14.5)oz petite cut tomatoes w/jalapenos drained
1 TBS lime juice
1/4+ tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
Combine chicken, garlic, hominy,onion, oregano,cumin,pepper flakes,boullion cubes water in slow cooker on high for 3 hrs add rest of ingredients sim until ready to serve. OR put in large soup pot bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer for 2 hours, keeping an eye on water level, then add rest of ingredients, serve with warm tortillas, and lime wedges... I always add more garlic and salt. I also double this recipe for our family to make sure we have seconds and LEFTOVERS!!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good and cheap. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete