Friday, March 26, 2010

Where've I Been?!

It's been a while since I blogged... unfortunately I have been spending way too much time farming and fishing... LOL, Farmville and Fish World have taken over our house!!

Its been crazy at our house lately. Our healthy diet has flown out the window. My husband doesn't like brown rice, or whole grain. SO it is difficult to get the kids to eat it. I have been thinking of making both kinds of rice, cause I actually like the flavor of brown better then white. Then I think about the extra work, and just DON'T... which is lazy on my part. I know I need to eat better, and so do the kids.. but after doing a mountain of laundry, and a kitchen full of dishes, and taking care of farms, and fish, who wants to take the time to cook well?!

One thing we have been enjoying is Thai food. We all love Thai food, but can't afford to go out often, so I have been experimenting with some recipes... we love Indian Butter Chicken, it is a little time consuming, but so good. I love Thai Iced Coffee, and can't wait to get to the store again to get the sweetened condensed milk I need to try to make it at home.. Tonight I am going to make Lentil, potato and Broccoli curry. It is a very easy recipe, it calls for Cauliflower, but I really don't like cauliflower so I am using organic frozen broccoli instead..

I will have to double this recipe for our family,
1 c. lentils; 3 1/2 cups liquid (I use 1 can coconut milk, then water or chicken broth to equal the 3 1/2 cups); 1 TBS Curry; 2-3 potatoes, peeled and cubed; frozen broccoli or cauliflower; salt and pepper to taste; plain yogurt or sour cream, and cilantro.

Rinse lentils, and heat in liquid with curry. Stir and cover but leave a small opening to vent the steam. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring often. Add potatoes and cover completely. Cook 10 minutes and check liquid level, add more if needed. You want the lentils moist but not dry. Add broccoli,salt and pepper, cook until potatoes are tender and cooked through. Serve with yogurt or sour cream and cilantro.

This is supposed to be a side dish, but I think if I serve it with a large bowl of steamed rice it should be plenty. There is alot of protein in the lentils.

I will try to do better about posting on here!!

3 comments:

  1. Following you back! Six kids and cloth diapers??? My hat is off to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI katie thanks 4 following me your the first:D
    you have a wonderful blog going here. I just started so there's not many followers yet. I bet you saw my blog on my mom's facebook:D
    It's cool that i understand your predicament exactly. seeing as i'm the middle of 6 kids 2.

    -lissa E.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry i think I typed that last part wrong. well don't judge me i'm only 12 !
    hahahahahahahahahah

    ReplyDelete