Saturday, October 10, 2009

First entry..

Ok.. let me just start out by saying, yes when you first start this it will seem like you are spending more money.. but as you get into it, and you start shopping smarter and better, you will cut costs ALOT. Also eating healthy whole foods are more filling so you will find yourself and your family eating less...

I started my healthy eating mission by trading in my white bleached flour for whole wheat UNBLEACHED pastry flour.. it is very fine ground, and I mixed it half and half with the white for the first month.. next month I will mix 3/4 whole wheat and 1/4 white, then the next month all whole wheat.. don't want the kids rebelling on me here.. a little change at a time and they wont even notice a difference! I also have a bread machine so I will be making our bread from now on, so I KNOW what is in it.. amazes me when I pick up a loaf of bread at the store and the ingredient list is longer then the loaf! Something is sooo wrong there.. and why does it need artificial flavors and colors?

I also bought whole grain tortillas rather then white.. and they are actually really good, lots of flavor, compared to the plain pasty tasting ones..

Next the white rice will go to be replaced with wild and brown rice... then the potatoes are gone, to be replaced with yams, sweet potatoes and any other root veggie I can find.... rutabaga, parsnips, etc...

We already have cut WAY back on artificial or processed foods as we have kids that have major reactions to them.. but I am known for eating my ding dongs, or oreos, or Cheese Danishes while hiding from the kids in my bathroom... SO wrong I know.. I have to teach myself to eat better before I can expect them to eat better! And I have to remind myself... I am doing this not just for myself.. but for them too.. I don't want my daughters to grow up to be plagued with this disease any more then I want to be! Teaching them healthy eating habits starts with me!

So come with me as we cut out the bad foods one step at a time, and replace them with cancer fighting super foods! Next will be a few recipes I have come across that are not only sooo good, but sooo good for you! And... my kids love them!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Your blog is up!! And it's so cute!

    I am gonna try to come up with a non-dairy alt to the sauce. Haven is off dairy for a while because we're trying to find out if he has an allergy or not.

    Or hey, do you have any good non-dairy alternatives, oh healthy eating guru? :-)

    Maisey

    www.maiseyyates.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. goat milk... try to find it fresh then it tastes almost like cow when fresh... and cheaper then store bought which can have a funny after taste.If you cant find it try Rice milk... stay away from soy if you guys want to have more kids... It's proven to lower the count of little swimmers, and all kinds of other horrors!... I am gathering info on soy and going to write a message about the horrible secrets no one tells you about as soon as I get it together.. healthy eating guru huh? too funny... esp. since I just broke down and ate a ding dong.. :o)

    ReplyDelete